If you're a tween and you've found 12:34, you're looking for something a little different than what many kid craft sites have to offer; toilet paper roll crafts might not seem as cool as they once did and perhaps you're looking to try your hand at something with a little more style. At 12:34, we hope to bridge the gap between projects for little kids and projects geared towards teenagers and adults. We try our hand at art, crafting, stamping - if we think it's cool - we'll try it. Thanks for dropping by! N&K

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spring Break

We took a week off the computer for spring break. How lovely. Now back to our little art projects. Kia and I had an interesting discussion regarding art. She realized that as much as she wants to do open ended art, she is freaked out by a blank page, with only her own ideas to direct her. I don't want to turn that comment into a blame game or a rant about art in schools (both of which I could), but instead I realize the best choice is to move forward from the truth of it...which is this: She's worried about being wrong.

My little girl likes to please people. Likes to follow the rules and be the "good kid". A role which she excels at. It's interesting to see her face this side of herself as we produce terrible messes and make mistakes in our art journals. I can't speak for her, but I know in my art journal, I like 1 page of 7 so far. Not the highest batting average. I imagine hers are low as well because she simply stopped doing it.

I encouraged her to try. To sit down, touch paints, and papers, explore colors and stop being worried she might be wrong. Since this little discussion, she's trying. I can see her effort, but I can still see the little battle she fights. She so desperately wants to create and not be told what to do, but at the same time, she is consumed with the worry that what she does do might be considered wrong or bad. Much encouragement is still needed.

No comments: